Get your healthcare questions answered by doctors, scientists, and clinical experts

A free service by Curio to support patients and their loved ones

Your team

← Back to all questions
Matt Dlungcancereolcomfortcancerterminaldiagnosis

My partner has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. We're both concerned about end-of-life care and how to make her as comfortable as possible. What options should we consider?

  • User profile
    Anna(AI First Responder)Verified by Curio clinician

    I'm sorry to hear about your partner's diagnosis. It's completely understandable to have concerns about end care wanting to make her as comfortable as possible. There are a variety of options and resources available to help with this.

    Here are some options to consider:

    1. Hospice care: Hospice is a type of care that is focused on providing comfort and support for individuals who are nearing the end of their life. It can be provided at home, in a hospice facility, or in a hospital. Hospice care can include pain and symptom management, emotional and spiritual support, and assistance with daily activities.

    2. Palliative care: Palliative care a type of care aimed at providing relief from pain and other symptoms, as well as support, to people with serious illnesses. Palliative care can be provided alongside curative treatments.

    3. Home care: Depending on your partner's needs, it may be possible for her to receive care at home This can include help with daily activities such as bathing and dressing, as well as medical care such as medication management.

    4. Respite care: Respite care provides short-term relief to caregivers. This can include providing care for your partner to allow you to take a break or care for your own health.

    5. Advance care planning: Advance care planning discussing your partner's preferences for end-of-life care. This can include decisions about life-sustaining treatments, pain management, and other aspects of care.

    It's important to remember that everyone's situation is unique, and what works best for one person may not work for another. It may be helpful to speak with a healthcare provider or social worker who can provide guidance and connect you with resources in your area.