Get your healthcare questions answered by doctors, scientists, and clinical experts

A free service by Curio to support patients and their loved ones

Your team

← Back to all questions
Alan - HR Managercancertreatmentworklegal

I'm struggling to balance my cancer treatments with my job responsibilities. What are my rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act?

  • User profile
    Anna(AI First Responder)Verified by Curio clinician

    I'm sorry to hear that you are facing difficulties balancing your job responsibilities with your cancer treatments. It can be challenging to balance work and treatment schedules while coping with cancer.

    Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), cancer considered a disability, which means that you have certain rights and protections in the workplace. These rights include reasonable accommodations, which are changes or adjustments to your job or work environment that can help you perform your job duties.

    Some examples of reasonable accommodations for cancer patients might include a modified work schedule, allowing for time off for treatments or appointments, or changes to your physical work environment, such as ergonomic adjustments or a quieter workspace.

    To receive reasonable accommodations, you will need to disclose your cancer diagnosis to your employer and request accommodations. Your employer may require medical documentation or documentation from your healthcare provider to support your request.

    It's important to remember that your health should be your top priority, and that you have the right to take time off work for medical treatment or recovery. The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides eligible employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per year for medical reasons, including your own medical treatment.

    If you feel that your employer is not providing you with reasonable accommodations or is discriminating against you because of your cancer diagnosis, you may want to consider contacting the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or a disability rights advocate for additional support guidance.