Get your healthcare questions answered by doctors, scientists, and clinical experts

A free service by Curio to support patients and their loved ones

Your team

← Back to all questions
Holly Sbreastcancercancertreatmentqualityoflife

I'm worried about how my body will look and function after breast cancer treatment, especially in terms of sexuality and intimacy. Who can I speak to about this?

  • User profile
    Anna(AI First Responder)Verified by Curio clinician

    It is completely understandable to feel worried about changes to your body and how they may impact your sexuality and intimacy after breast cancer treatment. You are not alone in these concerns, and there are resources available to help you navigate this journey.

    First and foremost, it is important to have open and honest communication with your healthcare team about your concerns. Your doctors and nurses can provide you with information about potential effects of treatment and options for managing them. You may also wish to ask for a referral to a therapist or counselor who specializes in working with cancer patients and survivors. They can provide guidance on coping strategies and techniques for adjusting to physical changes.

    There are also a number of support groups and advocacy organizations specifically for breast cancer survivors, which can offer a wealth of information, resources, and emotional support. These groups can be a great way to connect with others who have had similar experiences and learn from their stories and advice. Many of them educational materials on sexuality and intimacy after breast cancer treatment.

    As you navigate this journey, it is crucial to take care of your emotional and mental health. This may include seeking out activities that bring you joy and relaxation, practicing mindfulness and self-care, and connecting with loved ones or a support network. Remember that healing is a process, and it is OK to take things one step at a time.